Poetry: With that moon language

5:33 PM

This just might be the most arresting, truthful, harrowing poem I've ever read.



My favorite hobby lately in the gloriously springing spring of LA is to take walks up in the hills, breathe in flower-scented air, and listen to podcasts about interesting things.
My last walk was led by the amazing Krista Tippett's interview with Father Greg Boyle, creator of LA's Homeboy Industries. The interview concluded with this poem by the 14th c. Persian poet Hafiz also included in Father Boyle's memoir (which I can't wait to read).
Its a seemingly simple call to action with huge ramifications - its been my "make today magic, dammit!" mantra for the past week and I swear, I think its working!

With that moon language
Admit something:
Everyone you see, you say to them,
"Love me."
Of course you do not do this out loud;
Otherwise,
Someone would call the cops.
Still though, think about this,
This great pull in us
To connect.
Why not become the one
Who lives with a full moon in each eye
That is always saying,
With that sweet moon
Language,
What every other eye in this world
Is dying to
Hear.
- Hafiz

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi, Love this poem! Can you tell me who the artist of the illustration is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also wondering who the artist is of this illustration!

    ReplyDelete